Hello! I'm Carlos, and I have been writing Software since I was a kid. As a passionate Software Engineer with 10+ years of experience, I commit to bringing technical knowledge and success to every project and organisation I work with.
Currently, CTO at inpractise.com. Previously worked at Bloomberg, Expedia, DAZN and others.
I love web development. I use modern but stable technologies, and I keep my knowledge updated. Playing music is my way to relax.
If you want to connect, please follow and message me on Twitter. And if you want to hire me, please keep reading my resume :).
Senior Full Stack Engineer
- React, NextJS, Vue, Gatsby and Node
- UX/UI design, Adobe Suite
- TDD, BDD, Jest and Mocha
- Dev Ops: Docker, AWS, GCP, Kubernetes, Serverless, Firebase, Heroku, DigitalOcean
- Databases: SQL (PostgreSQL, SQL Server). NoSQL (Mongo, DynamoDB). GraphQL
- Ruby, Python, Golang and WebAssembly
- Machine Learning: Keras, scikit, TensorFlow
- Agile principles and good professional soft skills
CTO and Lead Engineer. 10/2019 to present.
Architected the tech stack and developed the product. React, Node, Next, Docker, PostgreSQL, GraphQL.
Senior Software Engineer. London, 01/2020 to 01/2021
TypeScript, React, Node, Kubernetes, SQL Server.
- Built web monitoring and management tool for an important financial process
Wisertag.com (side hustle)
Startup founder, 04/2019 to 12/2019.
Senior Software Engineer / DevOps / SRE. London, 04/2018 to 10/2019
React, Node, Golang, TypeScript, AWS (many services), Serverless (Lambda)
- Built multiple applications (React, Node, Next, GraphQL, Apollo). Hosted on AWS (ECS, CloudFront, DynamoDB, Lambda, ALB, DocumentDB).
- Built multiple static code analysers that parse every single GitHub commit using Node streams. They detect code that fails our security and standard policies. It automatically raises tickets to solve the problem.
- Set up and maintained multiple AWS accounts (VPC and EC2/ECS cluster config, CI/CD (Drone), Security Groups, IAM and others)
- Built Golang CLI tool used daily by all of our engineers
- Built NPM registry and NPMJS clone
HomeAway / VRBO (Expedia)
Senior Software Engineer. London, 11/2016 to 03/2018
React, Webpack, Redux, Node, Docker, AWS, SEO/SEM, SSR, A/B Testing, high traffic, i18n and l18n, AI/ML
- Highly optimised and resilient server side rendered React/Node application for all HomeAway brands.
- Implemented tens of A/B tests and built a Chrome extension to manage them
- Interviewed many Software Engineering candidates
- Tech lead and mentor in an Agile team
Senior Software Engineer. London, 03/2016 to 10/2016
React, Meteor, Webpack, Gulp, Node, C#, .NET, SEO, Devops, AWS, PaaS
- Built a CRM tool with Meteor and React
- Tech lead in a team of 6 Software Engineers
Software Engineer. Luxembourg, 03/2014 to 03/2016
Open Source / Freelance
2011 to present
- github.com/carlosbaraza - Many projects and contributions
- dashvar.com - Open Source design style guide and CSS library
- github.com/carlosbaraza/web-assembly-logo - Designed official WebAssembly logo
B.Eng. Industrial Electronics and Automation Engineering
University of Castilla-La Mancha, Spain, 2009 to 2013
Waterford Institute of Technology (WIT), Ireland, 2012 to 2013
Software Engineering (Lifelong learner)
1997 to present
- English - Very fluent. C1. First Certificate of Cambridge
- French - Fluent. B2. DELF. University of Lorraine (Nancy, France)
- Spanish - Native